Rain washes out game for Longhorns

It has been a long while since rain posed a threat to Texas sports. Officials at the Time Warner Cable Texas Invitational, hosted at McCombs field by the Longhorns, have cancelled or postponed the first two days of play.

The Longhorns began the tournament against the University of Pittsburgh on Friday night. After three innings of play, the Longhorns were up 6-0 before officials called a rain delay and rescheduled the game for Saturday afternoon. The other Friday games were canceled because of weather.

On Saturday the Longhorns attempted to finish their game against the Panthers and got through almost two innings of play before officials decided to call the game for good, declaring Texas the 7-2 winner. A real grass outfield and an infield made of dirt poses problems with the amount of rain received.

If the weather permits, the Longhorns will play in two of three games scheduled for tomorrow, one against the University of Tennessee and one against the University of Illinois. Tennessee will play Pittsburgh in the morning game.

Before the game was called, the Longhorns saw a lot of success on both sides of the ball. On offense, junior Taylor Hoagland had multiple hits with two scores for the Longhorns. Sophomores Brejae Washington and Taylor Thom along with senior Lexy Bennett also contributed to Texas six runs Friday. The defense, which was lights out on Friday, struggled Saturday giving up two runs before the game was called.