Bispo honored fourth time this season

2012-02-08_Swimming_Practice_Elisabeth_Dillon1031
Elisabeth Dillon

Senior Karlee Bispo was named Big 12 Swimmer of the Week for the fourth time this season and 10th time of her career, both conference records.

Receiving the Big 12 Swimmer of the Week award is an honor for any swimmer. Senior swimmer Karlee Bispo has now had that honor four times this season.

Last week, she became the first female swimmer in Big 12 conference history to receive the Big 12 Swimmer of the Week award four times in a single season.

Bispo, a senior freestyle champion and 11-time All-American, now holds the most career honors of any woman in Big 12 swimming and diving history.

“It’s a big honor because of how competitive the Big 12 is,” Bispo said. “It’s an honor to be thought of by the coaches, and it’s another confidence booster leading into the Big 12 Championships.”

With 15 race wins behind her thus far this season, Bispo’s versatility and determination make her a crucial competitive asset for the team, head coach Kim Brackin said.

“She’s been invaluable to this program,” Brackin said. “You can put her anywhere and she’ll step up and race.”
In addition to success in the water, Brackin said Bispo serves as a natural leader for her teammates.

“She is certainly a leader on the team in terms of dual meets, and I think the team really looks up to her in terms of her wavering ability to just lay it on the line whenever she needs to,” Brackin said.

Bispo will head to Columbia, Mo. with her teammates on Wednesday to compete in the Big 12 Championships.

Printed on Tuesday, February 21, 2012 as: Bispo breaks record with weekly honor