Longhorns finish tournament with two strong victories

After dropping their first match of the tournament, the Longhorns ended the weekend on a positive note with two victories over Top 20 teams.

The No. 14 ranked Longhorns wrapped up the Intercollegiate Tennis Association National Team Indoor Championships with a 4-2 win over No. 16 Auburn late Sunday evening. Texas claimed the doubles point thanks to an 8-3 victory by Sudanwa Sitaram and Daniel Whitehead at the number three doubles line. Chris Camillone and David Holiner clinched the point for Texas with their 8-6 win over Auburn’s No. 2-ranked doubles team.

The Tigers scored their first point off Lukas Ollert’s win over Camillone at the No. 5 singles spot. Texas scored their second point with Sitaram’s 6-2, 6-2 win over Dan Cochrane. Whitehead increased Texas’ lead by two with his three-set win over Alex Stanchev at the second spot, but the Tigers would not go away, getting their second point with a win at the six spot. Clinching the victory for the Longhorns was freshman Lloyd Glasspool, who came back from losing the first set to beat Dennis Lengsfeld 2-6, 7-6, 6-4.

On Saturday, the Longhorns avenged a loss to Texas A&M in the previous week with a 4-1 win in the first round of the consolation bracket. Texas got on the board early with two doubles victories. In the No. 3 spot, Sitaram and Whitehead blanked Niall Angus and Alexis Klegou, 8-0. Camillone and sophomore Holiner pulled off the upset of the No. 36 ranked tandem of Lewis and Hoover, 8-4.

In singles, Sitaram added to Texas’ total with a 6-4, 7-6 win over Junior Ore, while Camillone added another point with his 6-2, 6-2 win over Jackson Withrow. The Aggies got on the board with a win at the number six spot, but freshman Soren Hess-Olesen, ranked No. 93, upset No. 15 Klegou, 6-3, 6-3 to avenge his loss from the Longhorns’ previous matchup against the Aggies and seal the victory for the Longhorns.

Texas opened the tournament with a 4-0 loss to the No. 3 seed Ohio State.

The Buckeyes scored the first point after claiming two of the doubles matches, although Texas scored an upset over the Buckeyes’ No. 27 ranked team at the number two spot. Whitehead and Holiner teamed up to hand Devin McCarthy and Ille Van Engelen an 8-3 loss. The Buckeyes went on to post three straight singles victories to clinch the match and knock Texas into the consolation bracket. The Longhorns finished the tournament with a 2-1 record. They will return to the courts this Saturday with a doubleheader in Austin.

Printed on Tuesday, February 21, 2012 as: Horns pick up wins over Auburn, A&M