Longhorns overcome rain delays, win two more

2012-02-19-UT_vs_Tennessee_Zen_Ren5297
Zen Ren

Taylor Thom gets her second hit of the game in the Longhorns’ 3-2 win on Sunday. Thom drove in one run and also drew a walk.

The rain caused a few issues for the Longhorns this weekend, but none of those problems were on the field. The No. 13 ranked Texas team only played two out of five scheduled games in the Time Warner Texas Invitational. Of those two games, however, the Longhorns proved too strong for their opponents.

Texas was scheduled to play two games on Friday, the first being against 10th ranked Tennessee and the other against Pittsburgh. While the game against the Lady Volunteers was cancelled due to the inclement weather, Texas did take the field against the Pittsburgh Panthers.

Junior Kim Bruins started the game for Texas and she gained her second win of the season, giving up only two hits and striking out three.

The Longhorns, who had an overall record of 1-0 against the Panthers before this game, got out to an early start and scored two runs in the first, one off of a throwing error and the other an RBI by senior Lexy Bennett. The team lengthened its lead in the second after sophomore Mandy Ogle recorded an RBI single and junior Taylor Hoagland added another RBI on a fielder’s choice to give Texas a 6-0 lead.

However, after the third inning, the game was called due to rain and was completed on Saturday. The Longhorns won, 7-2, and the game was called after five innings.

Sometimes it can be tough for a team to come back after suspended play like that, but it wasn’t for the Longhorns.

“I told them that our sport is all about going with the flow and sometimes it is hurry up and wait. They did a great job with that,” said head coach Connie Clark. “We are blessed to have great facilities, so that gives us a great opportunity to stay warm and go and hit in the covered area.”

Texas also had its game against Illinois canceled on Saturday because of inclement weather. It was supposed to be the first meeting between the two teams.

However, as Sunday came around, the weather cleared up and Austin was full of sunny skies during the Longhorns’ game against No. 10 Tennessee.

The game remained scoreless through the first five innings as starting pitchers Blaire Luna of Texas and Ellen Renfroe of Tennessee battled it out. But in the top of the fifth, Luna gave up two hits, one being a double, that lead to a run by the Lady Volunteers. In the bottom of the sixth Texas tied the game, 1-1, and eventually forced extra innings.

Luna was touched for one run in the ninth inning, but the Longhorns rallied in their half of the frame. With two runners on base, sophomore Brejae Washington hit an inside the park walk-off home run to give Texas the victory as UT improved to 8-0 on the season.

“Obviously it was exciting to get a result, but we had some tremendous competitive moments,” Clark said. “I was proud that we had several great competitive moments. Regardless of what happened to them earlier in the game, during and at bat, they were not carrying the behaviors. You have to go with what the game is giving you. I think we are doing a better job with that mentality right now.”