Longhorns look to keep winning streak alive against TCU

The Longhorns continued their climb up the rankings this week and look to build upon a four-match win streak against TCU.

Texas (10-3) will host the Horned Frogs (4-6) this Sunday, with first serve set at 2 p.m.

This week, the Longhorns moved up to No. 8 in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association rankings from their previous spot at No. 11. The team started the season ranked No. 19, but have posted some impressive road wins against top 20 teams early this season. Texas has wins over No. 12 Auburn, No. 15 Texas A&M at neutral sites and No. 28 North Carolina on the Tar Heels’ home courts. Out of the Longhorns’ 10 wins so far this season, only four of those have come in Austin.

Representing Texas in the singles rankings are freshman Soren Hess-Olesen, who moved up to No. 50 in the rankings, and junior Daniel Whitehead at No. 79. For doubles, junior Chris Camillone and sophomore David Holiner sit at No. 35 in the rankings.

TCU is coming off a 6-1 loss against No. 12 Texas A&M last Saturday. The Horned Frogs will face Arizona in Fort Worth today before traveling to Austin.

Texas added two wins to their season total last Saturday with a 7-0 shutout of UT-Arlington, followed by a 6-1 win over UT-San Antonio. In the match against UTSA, the Longhorns swept the doubles, but found themselves in some trouble in the singles matches, with five of the six matches going to third sets.

The match against TCU kicks off a busy week for the team, as they will return to the courts next week with a Thursday matchup against San Diego and a doubleheader against No. 23 Florida State and No. 71 Nicholls State next Saturday.

Printed on Friday, March 2, 2012 as: Texas squares off with future Big 12 member TCU Sunday