Longhorns dominate Northwestern

The performance of the Longhorns mirrored Friday evening’s weather: clear and cool.

In their first match as an ITA top 10 team, the ladies dominated Northwestern, winning 6-1. Of the nine matches of the night, the Longhorns emerged victorious in all but two.

“I think it’s really just a number at this point in the season, but it’s nice to see that we’re playing some top-notch tennis,” head coach Patty Fendick-McCain said.

“We’re having a lot of fun doing it.”

Starting off strong in doubles play, the duos of Noel Scott and Lina Padegimaite, and Aeriel Ellis and Cierra Gaytan-Leach easily came out on top, winning 8-6 and 8-4 respectively.

“I was really proud of the girls, especially with the way we started in the doubles matches,” Fendick-McCain said. “We came out strong, got the doubles point, picked up two really big wins at one and two [doubles].”

On the singles side of things, All-American Ellis topped the No. 20 player in the country to set the tone. Other individual winners on the evening included Krista Damico, Elizabeth Begley, Padegimaite and Gaytan-Leach.

“We had some great performances throughout the entire singles matches,” Fendick-McCain said. “I’m super proud of them.”

Top competition breeds top performance, and the Longhorns will most likely continue this dominance as competition heats up the rest of the season.

“We’ve got to take it day-by-day,” Fendick-McCain said. “We’ve got some things we need to work out in practice to get ready for the next one.”