Big 12 Player of the Week on fire for Longhorns

2012_03_07_Softball_vs_Tech_Nathan
Nathan Goldsmith

Courtney Craig (25) was 2-2 with one RBI on Tuesday night. She has been a strong offensive threat for the Longhorns all season.

Senior Courtney Craig has stepped up to be one of strongest offensive attackers for the Longhorns as they continue to muscle their way through the season.

On Tuesday, Craig was flawless from the plate and knocked in a run. Craig, a native of California, was recently named the Big 12 Conference Player of the Week after she led the Longhorns to a 5-0 win last week. She batted .592 with a .941 slugging percentage. The outfielder tallied a double, two home runs, 10 RBI’s and four stolen bases as Texas beat in-state rivals Texas State and Sam Houston State in the five games.

Over the weekend, Craig hit two home runs in Sunday’s game against Sam Houston where the Longhorns took the 14-0 victory. Although it was one of her best games yet, it was no surprise to head coach Connie Clark.

“She has been like that from day one, since we’ve had her at Texas,” Clark said. “Just a model of consistency, amazing player.”

While that was Craig’s second Big 12 honor in her career here at Texas, she is on track to have one of her best seasons yet. So far, she is batting .380 on the season with three home runs and 17 RBIs.

The versatile athlete is one of the key leaders on the No. 6 Texas team. Being one of the three senior captains, Craig is a great example for the younger players. She has always worked hard for the team and has been a key asset. Last season, she suffered a broken bone in her left hand on the first day of spring practice and was out until mid March. But, she came back with a great offensive strike finishing second on the team with a .382 batting average.

Craig has been working on offensive assaults and trying to get the team to focus on each at bat.

“As a team, we have been working on individual things,” Craig said. “Personally, I’ve been working hard on getting my hands inside. I think I’ve just been seeing the ball great lately.”

As Texas started conference play Tuesday night, she continued her great performance. Craig went 2-2 with an RBI as the Longhorns easily beat the Texas Tech Red Raiders 8-0. The 505 in attendance saw Craig get the Longhorns started as she knocked in the first run for them in the bottom of the first. This also increased her season-long hitting streak to six games where she is tied with teammates Brejae Washington and Taylor Hoagland.

While there is still a long way to go in the season, Craig is on her way to one of her best seasons yet here at Texas. While Big 12 play has started, the Big 12 Player of the Week is looking to continue the team’s success and lead her team on another championship run.

The Longhorns will face the Red Raiders again today at 4 p.m.

Printed on Wednesday, March 7, 2012 as: Craig improves, leads offensive surge