Longhorns sweep first conference series of the year

2012_03_07_Softball_vs_TexasTech_Zen
Zen Ren

Sophomore Brejae Washington rounds third base to score what would prove to be the game-winning run in the Longhorns’ 2-1 win over Texas Tech on Wednesday.

Two games into conference play, 20 games into the season and the Longhorns continue to dominate every team on the field. The 19-1 Texas team finished off their two game series Wednesday night against Texas Tech, which capped their first conference series of the season.

Texas swept the Red Raiders going 6-0 in Tuesday’s game and 2-1 in Wednesday’s where it was a close game throughout but the RBI single in the third by Lexy Bennett was the game winner for the Longhorns. Texas hit seven in the game while holding Tech to only two hits.

Sophomore Rachel Fox got the start for Texas where she got her sixth win of the season. As she held the Red Raiders to only one run on two hits, the Longhorns continued their nine game winning streak.

“After the home run [that Tech hit in the sixth], she immediately came back,” said head coach Connie Clark on the Sugar Land native. “She didn’t lose her composure, she just got to the next pitch and that was awesome for her to do that — to keep us in this tight ball game.”

Not only has Fox performed this season, all of the pitching staff has given Texas the upper hand on their opponents.

“Kim Bruins is throwing the ball exceptionally well for us, too. If we were doing a three-game series, KB would probably come back and start,” said Clark. “It’s a benefit for us to have great looks in the circle. We’re bringing Gabby Smith along as a freshman. She’s got some good stuff, it’s just about getting some confidence and over time she’ll be another good pitcher as well.”

Both of Texas’ two runs in the game were scored in the second and third. Nadia Taylor, the senior out of Humble, hit a grounder to the pitcher, which bounced off her leg and then resulted in a bad throw to first to start the second inning. Mandy Ogle’s ground ball to short gave pinch runner Gabby Smith the opportunity to get the first run of the game, which she capitalized on giving Texas the early lead. In the third, Brejae Washington singled and then moved to second on a stolen base. Bennett gave Texas the essential game winner after that when she batted Washington in on ground ball through the right side.

This start for the Longhorns matches their second best in school history. In 2003 Texas also started 19-1 but in 2006 the team started out with a school record 26-1 mark.

This isn’t the end of the Red Raiders, however. The two teams finish their season series on April 11 when Texas travels to Lubbock for their final game. Before that, though, the Longhorns will travel to the Aloha state to play in the Spring Fling Tournament. In Hawaii, they look to continue their hot streak and continue as a main contender for the NCAA tournament.

Printed on Thursday, March 8, 2012 as: UT, Bennett stay hot after edging Red Raiders