Longhorns look to strike out breast cancer

2012_03_07_Softball_vs_TexasTech_Zen
Zen Ren

Courtney Craig reaches second in a recent game for UT. The senior homered and drove in four runs in her last game against Iowa State.

It’s almost time for the Longhorns to come back to Austin. Today is their last game on their road trip after traveling to Hawaii and up north to Iowa during an eight game stretch.

Texas only has to go down I-10 for this one as they face off against the University of Houston Cougars.

Tonight’s game is more than just a softball game. Every year the University of Houston teams up with the Houston Affiliate of Susan G. Komen For The Cure to have a Strike Out Breast Cancer game, and this year it falls on their single game showdown against the Longhorns.

The idea started when the Cougars were trying to recruit a player whose mother had breast cancer and every year it raises a large amount of money for the cure. Last year’s game raised nearly $11,000, which went to the Komen Houston Affiliate. A silent auction will take place just before the game where multiple Longhorn and Cougar items will be auctioned off.

The Longhorns (26-2) are ranked No. 8 in the nation. Coming off a three game conference series with Iowa State, they are on a roll and ready for their next challenge.

Last year Texas played the Cougars twice, once in early March and the other in early May. They split the games, with Texas winning the first 4-1 but losing the second 1-0. Historically, Houston has been a tough opponent for Texas; in the past four years they have gone 3-3 against the in-state rival.

The Cougars are 18-13 on the season so far and are coming off a three-game sweep against Memphis. In that series they out-scored their opponent 21-1. Currently they are on an eight-game winning streak in which their pitching staff has caused their opponents much trouble at bat.

Texas is confident going into their last game on this road trip, however. The Longhorns are led by senior Courtney Craig who went 2-2 in the last game against Iowa State. She recorded a home run and four RBIs in the game and broke the scoring open in the third inning where Texas scored eight runs. With that home run, Craig moved into sixth place for all-time home runs at UT where she is tied with teammate Lexy Bennett.

As both teams look for a win, they are teaming up for a good cause and a chance to help end breast cancer. After the Longhorns are finished in Houston they come back to Austin to continue more nonconference games. Right now the team is focused on tallying more wins and game-by-game moving up in the rankings.