Even After Season’s End, Awards Keep Rolling In

2012-02-02-Diving_Elisabeth_Dillon728
Elisabeth Dillon

Senior diver Drew Livingston was named Big 12 Diver of the Year over the weekend. Texas also swept the other four Big 12 awards gi

In a year that saw the Texas Men’s Swimming and Diving team earn many individual and team awards, it’s only fitting that the second ranked squad in the country claim a few more accolades at the season’s end. Texas won the Big 12 title in February and finished second at the National Championships last month.

Over the weekend, the Horns racked up a few more awards to add to a trophy case already bursting at the seams, as Texas claimed all five yearly Big 12 awards.

Head Coach Eddie Reese was named Coach of the Year, Matt Scoggin claimed Diving Coach of the Year honors, Jimmy Feigen was dubbed Swimmer of the Year, Drew Livingston was tabbed as Diver of the Year and Kip Darmody was crowned Newcomer of the Year. This is the fourth time since 2003 that Texas has claimed all five yearly awards.

Reese adds this year’s title to an already sterling resume, bringing in his seventh straight Coach of the Year honor and 10th overall during his tenure on the 40 Acres. Reese guided the Horns to their 16th consecutive Big 12 Title en route to a fifth consecutive first or second finish at the National Championships.

Matt Scoggin claimed his sixth Diving Coach of the year award in a season that saw senior divers Matt Cooper and Drew Livingston earn All-American honors and between them claim one National title, four top-four and six top-ten finishes at the NCAA Championships.

Senior Jimmy Feigen capped off what has been a prolific career at UT with his fourth consecutive Swimmer of the Year honor. The 24-time All-American earned national championships in the 50-meter freestyle, 100-meter freestyle and the 400-meter freestyle relay at this year’s NCAA Championships. Feigen’s is the first swimmer in conference history to win Big 12 Swimmer of the Year four straight years.

Drew Livingston’s Diver of the Year Honor is the third of the senior’s career. Livingston won the National Championship in the 1-meter while earning three more All-American honors, enough to be named NCAA Diver of the Meet.

Freshman Kip Darmody is an emerging force for this Texas squad. He was a member of the National Champion 800-yard relay squad and earned All-American honors in the 100 backstroke. Darmody’s Newcomer of the Year honor extends an impressive streak for the Horns, as Texas has had a swimmer earn the title every year since 2003.

Printed on Tuesday, April 10, 2012 as: National runners-up sweep Big 12 awards