Top ranked Horns looks for third consecutive win

Coming off two straight tournament wins and with the nation’s top two golfers at their disposal, top-ranked Texas has a good chance to win their third straight tournament this weekend.

Senior Dylan Fritelli and freshman Jordan Spieth, the No. 1 and No. 2 college golfers in the country, respectively, according to Golfweek’s most recent rankings, were recently named finalists for the Ben Hogan Award, which is awarded annually to the college golfer of the year. Fritelli and Spieth will try to help the Longhorns navigate a tough field in the Western Intercollegiate that includes six of the top 13 squads in the country — No. 3 USC, No. 5 Cal, No. 6 Oregon, No. 7 UCLA, No. 8 Stanford, and No. 13 San Diego State.

At the Morris Williams Intercollegiate in Austin Mar. 31 and April 1, Texas triumphed by 16 strokes and was the only team to finish the tournament under par (-9). Fritelli, Spieth, and junior Julio Vegas were all tied at 5-under-par for the individual lead while senior Alex Moon finished in a tie for second place at 4-under-par.

The Longhorns won their next tournament two weeks later at the Augusta State Invitational in Augusta, Ga. at the week before the Masters was played there. The victory didn’t come as easy as the previous one as Texas needed a two-hole playoff to put away Augusta State.

Among the other teams in this weekend’s tournament are San Jose State, New Mexico State, Cal-Irvine, Denver, Hawaii, Hawaii-Hilo, and Kansas.