Texas men’s tennis attempts to move above .500 in Lubbock

After defeating Texas A&M in the thrilling, final chapter of the Lone Star Showdown last weekend, the Longhorns will try to get above .500 with a win over No. 22 Texas Tech in Lubbock on Saturday.

This is the final conference match for both teams, with the winner claiming the No. 2 seed and first round bye at the conference tournament next weekend.

No. 15 Texas moved up two spots in the rankings after their 4-3 victory over No. 29 Texas A&M, which went down to the last match before the Longhorns claimed the win.

The Red Raiders (14-7, Big 12 3-1) are coming off their first conference loss to No. 11 Oklahoma earlier this week.

The Longhorns will look to end their conference schedule on a high note after losing their first two conference matches to Oklahoma and Baylor. Right now Texas sits at 2-2 in conference play, but would like to get the win this weekend to rise above the .500 mark.

An important factor in getting the win this weekend will be to win the doubles point and get solid singles play from the lineup. Texas will depend on the No. 30 ranked duo of junior Chris Camillone and sophomore David Holiner and the No. 40 ranked pairing of juniors Daniel Whitehead and Ben Chen to take that first point. Camillone and Holiner will have to get through the No. 29 ranked pair of Raony Carvalho and Gonzalo Escobar, who are 8-1 on the season.

In singles, the Raiders are led by Escobar, who is ranked No. 47 and Carvalho, who is ranked No. 73. The Longhorns are led by the No. 69 ranked freshman Soren Hess-Olesen and No. 100 Whitehead.

These two teams last battled each other earlier this year in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Kick-Off Weekend, with Texas claiming the 4-0 victory in the first round of the weekend. Posting wins were the doubles team of Whitehead and Holiner, and the team of freshman Jacoby Lewis and sophomore Sudanwa Sitaram. In singles, freshman Lloyd Glasspool posted a win, along with Sitaram and Whitehead, who defeated Escobar in straight sets.

The Longhorns will be back on the courts next weekend in College Station for the Big 12 conference tournament, followed by the NCAA first and second rounds the second weekend in May.