Longhorns Split Last Weekend Series

The Longhorns fought weather, inconsistency and top competition all season long. This weekend, they ended with a split.

The women picked up a solid victory this weekend to earn them a 7-2 conference record, and a lot of momentum heading into the Big 12 tournament. Texas outlasted Oklahoma 5-2, but dropped a close one to the Cowboys 4-3.

Despite a big doubles win by Aeriel Ellis and Elizabeth Begley on Saturday, the team dropped the usually important doubles point. However, it made no difference on the outcome of the match.

The Longhorns dominated singles competition against Oklahoma, winning five of the six matches. Ellis finally found her stride again, getting back into the win column with a victory in straight sets.

“Aeriel Ellis worked hard this week and was great today in doubles and singles,” said Patty Fendick-McCain, head coach.

Freshman Noel Scott found her way back into the winning side of things against Oklahoma.

“Noel [Scott] got over the hump today and played the kind of tennis she is capable of playing,” Fendick-McCain said. “Noel has been working so hard, and she deserves to win. It’s great to see her turn the corner.”

Sunday proved to be a stiffer challenge, as the ladies fought tooth and nail, but couldn’t edge the Oklahoma State Cowboys, losing 4-3.

In spite of the loss, Krista Damico finally got on track in this match, winning in straight sets to cap a tremendous regular season for the senior.

The theme of the weekend however was the continued outstanding play from the bottom of the Longhorns’ lineup. Begley and Lina Padegimaite each won two matches and Cierra Gaytan-Leach added another impressive victory.

“Cierra Gaytan-Leach, Lina Padegimaite and Elizabeth Begley were all-business at Nos. 4, 5 and 6 singles. They were great,” Fendick-McCain said. “Elizabeth is playing like the player we recruited. She came in with some very good international experience, and she has worked super hard after a tough freshman year.”