Luna regains success for Oklahoma State

It was a rough week for Texas pitcher Blaire Luna, but Sunday proved to be a resurgence for her.

The junior pitcher had a little bit of trouble last week against the Baylor Bears but came back with a 5-1 win against Oklahoma State on Sunday.

The Austin native out of Bowie high school, currently stands 16-3 on the season. She leads the team with 185 strikeouts and 125.2 innings pitched. Her 25 appearances, 18 of which are starts, has made her one of the important leaders on the team.

Last Wednesday the Longhorns took on the Baylor Bears in a road showdown in Waco. In that game, Luna gave up the lead, allowing two runs to be scored in the eighth inning off a double as Baylor won the game 5-4. While the pitcher did have seven strikeouts, she gave up nine hits and four walks. Needless to say it wasn’t her best game of the season.

That wasn’t a sign to stop, however.

Luna came back with a start Sunday morning where she lead her team to a victory against the Oklahoma State Cowboys. The All-American allowed just one run as the Longhorns took the 5-1 victory. She gave up only two hits while striking out nine to give UT a Big 12 series win.

Baylor was a learning experience for Luna, and she has been working on different things to get back to her normal self.

“I really liked what I saw from Blaire,” said Connie Clark, head coach. “She’s been a work in progress over the last few weeks, and we’ve spent a lot of time just trying to get her confidence back and work with her in the bullpen.”

Not only has she been working hard to get back to the level of play Longhorn fans saw in the beginning of the season, but there’s been progress, too.

“Really, each of her last five outings have been a little bit better in one regard or the other,” Clark said. “Today, she had pretty solid command. She was missing on her rise ball just a little bit wide and that’s where some of the walks came into play, but great process in moving forward to where we need her. She was very much pitch-to-pitch and very confident. I think we’ve got her back where we need her right now.”