Longhorns get shut out in first game against the Aggies

SOFTBALL_2012-04-22_Softball_vs_OK_State_Raveena
Raveena Bhalara

The longhorns have some work to do to win this weekend’s series against Texas A&M after falling in the first game 9-0.

It wasn’t how the Longhorns wanted to start their final series with longtime rival Texas A&M. Thursday night gave the team a lot of trouble, as they lost in a 9-0 shut out given by the Aggies.

No. 18 Texas A&M held the Longhorns to seven hits on the night, and the Aggies were able to get 9 runs of their eight hits. The run-ruled game was not what the Longhorns expected going into the weekend.

Scoring occurred in only two innings during the six-inning game. In the bottom of the second, the Aggies scored four runs to give the team the lead, which they held throughout the game. The next series of scoring didn’t come until four innings later in the bottom of the sixth when A&M finished a five-run inning with a two-run homer to right field, which ended the game.

Amber Garza was the key player for Texas A&M, as she led her team to the victory. She hit two home runs and had six RBI’s, producing two-third’s of their total runs.

The biggest problem for the Longhorns was capitalizing on their chances. Numerous opportunities arose for the now 37-8 team, which they couldn’t take advantage of. Texas stranded nine runners on the night, blowing multiple chances to score. In the top of the fifth they had bases loaded with two outs but a short pop-up on a 2-0 count halted the threat.

There are still plenty of games this weekend for the Longhorns to win, and to add points to Texas’ total in the State Farm Lone Star Showdown.

Texas will come back to Austin to face A&M two more times at McCombs field this Saturday and Sunday. These will be the last two games Texas and Texas A&M will play together since the Aggies are moving to the SEC. The series has been even for the past 38 games as Texas A&M leads the overall series 32-14.

Printed on Friday, April 27, 2012 as: A&M starts out series with dominating win