Crimson Tide earns first title defeating Sooners at Women’s College World Series

The Associated Press

Alabama captured its 21st overall national title and third of 2012 with the Crimson Tide’s win over Oklahoma in the WCWS.

The Crimson Tide weren’t going to let another shot at a National Championship go to waste.

The Tide earned their first ever title with a convincing, though rainy, 5-4 victory in game three over the Oklahoma Sooners at the Women’s College World Series in Oklahoma City, Ok.

Oklahoma took control of the series early by winning game one 4-1 in an easy fashion. However, Alabama fought back in the second game by going up 8-1 quickly. The Sooners rallied in the seventh inning of the second game by bringing Alabama’s lead to two runs, but were unable to finish and lost game two 8-6.

On Wednesday night a two-hour rain delay didn’t help the Sooners in game three, who struggled for the second time in the series to mount a comeback. They finally mustered a rally in the seventh inning, which included a home run by Lauren Chamberlin. Alabama took another early lead in game three using a four-run fourth inning to go up 4-3 before ultimately winning the decisive third game 5-4.

Ironically, it was junior pitcher Keilani Ricketts, who had led the Sooners both in the circle and at the plate through the series, who was the final out against Alabama, securing the National Title for the Crimson Tide.

Ricketts had two runs off of two hits and one RBI against Alabama. She pitched two complete games for a total of 13 innings while logging 19 strikeouts and only three walks.

The Sooners finished 54-10 overall and 19-5 in the Big 12 Conference, earning a Big 12 Conference title. Alabama finished the season with an impressive 60-8 overall record and 23-5 SEC Conference record. The Crimson Tide finished atop their conference and atop the nation with their first national title.

“For us, I don’t think it’s sunk in yet,” Alabama head coach Patrick Murphy said. “It’s been a long time coming. It’s just been an incredible nine or ten days here in Oklahoma City, and each game just got better and better and better. I’m just thrilled with the championship.”