Houston rallies for 3-3 draw with Toronto

HOUSTON— Will Bruin scored twice in the second half, and the Houston Dynamo came back from a two-goal deficit in the final 17 minutes to tie Toronto FC 3-3 Wednesday night.

Danny Koevermans scored twice for Toronto, which built a 3-1 lead at halftime only to get its first draw of the season and first point on the road.

Houston (5-4-5, 20 points) tied the game in the 90th minute on Bruin’s header from the left side of the goalkeeper’s box off a cross from Geoff Cameron.

Houston cut the lead to 3-2 in the 73rd minute as Bruin took a pass from Brad Davis at the top of the box and chipped it into the upper right portion of the net from 16 yards.

“We knew it was going to be difficult the second half, but I am so proud of the lads,” Paul Mariner said after his second game as coach. “We had a fantastic performance in the first half. I thought we were terrific. A point away from home against Houston is fantastic.”

Koevermans put Toronto (1-10-1, 4 points) ahead 2-1 in the 22nd minute, taking a cross from Eric Avila and shooting it in from just outside the 6-yard box on the left. Koevermans extended the lead to 3-1 in the 45th minute, heading Julian de Guzman’s pass inside the near post from 16 yards.

“Definitely, we come into every game to win,” defender Ashtone Morgan said. “We were up 3-1 at the half, and we thought we were going to be in cruise control. They threw the big boys up there and scored two goals.”

Jeremy Hall put Toronto up 1-0 in the 13th minute. Houston tried to clear the ball, but Avila sent it back in from the above the half circle. Hall gained possession near the penalty area, turned and shot with the ball ricocheting off the near post, bouncing on the end line and off the far post before going in.

Bobby Boswell tied it in the 20th minute with a header off Davis’ corner kick from 8 yards.

Three Toronto players arrested for public intoxication earlier in the week were sent home before the game: Miguel Aceval, Luis Silva and Nick Soolsma.