Several Longhorns in the hunt at U.S. Olympic Diving Team Trials

Day five is underway at the 2012 Olympic Team Trials for diving in Federal Way, Wash. Several past, present, and future Longhorns have been competing this week for a spot on the Olympic roster.

Tonight, junior Maren Taylor will be competing alongside future Longhorn Meghan Houston in the final round of the 3-meter synchronized springboard event. Taylor and Houston enter the finals seated eighth overall; only one pair will travel to London for this event.

Taylor competed in the preliminary round of the 3-meter individual springboard event on Tuesday. After a poor first dive, Taylor registered four solid outings but was unable to work her way into the semifinal round.

“Maren started with a front 3 1/2 and had a nightmare hurdle, but she hit all of her next four dives great,” Texas diving coach Matt Scoggin said. “The good news is that her back is healthy and she still has her synchro final on Thursday.”

Brothers, and former Longhorns, Troy and Justin Dumais will dive in the finals for the 3-meter individual springboard event on Sunday. They will be joined by their brother, Stanford alum Dwight Dumais.

Troy Dumais is a three-time Olympian with the US diving team.

Former Longhorn Drew Livingston, who graduated this past May, also competed in the 3-meter individual springboard but was unable to advance out of the semifinal round after falling six spots to 17th overall.

Livingston and Troy Dumais will be competing in the final round of the 3-meter synchronized springboard event on Friday. Dumais and his partner sit in first place, followed closely by Livingston in second. Justin and Dwight Dumais will also compete in the finals in fourth place.

Sunday is the final day of the diving trials. The USA Olympic Swimming Trials will begin on June 25th in Omaha, Neb.

Outside the United States, former Longhorn Susana Escobar was named to the Mexican Olympic Team. This will be her second Olympics with the swim team. Escobar will compete in the 800 freestyle event in London and logged the top time in Mexico this year with a time of 8:42.45, one of only two women to break the nine minute mark.