John Fields named Dave Williams Award Recipient, Fritelli and Spieth to All-Nicklaus Team

Men’s golf head coach John Fields was recently named the Dave Williams Award winner, presented by the Golf Coaches Association of America. This is Fields’ second coach of the year honor, following his Golfweek Coach of the Year honor, announced June 14.

Along with Fields, senior Dylan Frittelli and freshman Jordan Spieth were named to the All-Nicklaus team Thursday by the GCAA. Because of their outstanding play on the course throughout the 2011-2012 season, Frittelli and Spieth filled two of the 24 spots offered to players of all collegiate divisions of play.

Frittelli had also been named co-recipient of the Byron Nelson award, and along with Spieth, was named to the PING and Golfweek first-team All-American teams, with teammate Julio Vegas earning Golfweek’s third-team honors. Spieth was also a finalist for the Ben Hogan Award and was named Big 12 Freshman and Player of the Year.

Fields and these All-Nicklaus team members were key factors to the Longhorns’ seven tournament victories and the program’s third national title last year.