Former Big 12 Athlete of the Year Destinee Hooker nominated for US Olympic Volleyball Team

Former Texas Volleyball standout Destinee Hooker has been nominated to represent the United States on the national team, pending approval by the United States Olympic Committee.

Hooker, a San Antonio native, spent four years at UT under Coach Jerritt Elliott where she won multiple awards including Big 12 Female Athlete of the Year in 2009 and All-American honors in 2008 and 2009. In the same year, she and Coach Elliott led the team to the 2009 NCAA national championship match, where they lost to Penn State 3-2.

Even after 3 years, Elliott still enjoys the success of those he has coached.

“I’m fired up for her,” Elliott said. “She’s put a lot of work into this and I’m excited to see her have this opportunity to represent her country, as well as the University of Texas. I know all of her teammates and support staff will be cheering her on. It says a lot about what kind of athlete she is in becoming one of the best volleyball players in the world.”

If approved, this would not be Hooker’s first time representing the United States in international competition. In 2011, she was named Most Valuable Player of the FIVB World Grand Prix held in China. She led the US to its second gold medal in a row at the event after beating Brazil handily in the final match, 3-0.