Hooker and USA Volleyball remain undefeated in London

The Associated Press

Destinee Hooker spikes a ball in an opening round match against defending gold medalists Brazil.

Former Longhorn Destinee Hooker and the United States women indoor volleyball team have easily cruised to a 5-0 record in the qualification round in London. The U.S. contingent will advance to the second phase of competition, which consists of eight teams playing in a quarterfinal, semifinal and final round. In 2008, the American team came home with silver after losing the gold medal match 3-1 against Brazil.

The United States took the court in the first game against South Korea and was able to finish the match with a 3-1 victory. Two days later, they took the match against Brazil 3-1, the reigning gold medalists from the Beijing Games. U.S. completed its first sweep Aug. 1 with a 3-0 victory over China, who took bronze in Beijing.

The American women clinched their side of the bracket, Group B, with their sweep of Serbia Aug. 3. Hooker led the team with 12 kills and six blocks. Sunday afternoon, United States completed the first phase with a 3-0 sweep of Turkey.

Hooker is second in scoring with 104 points behind South Korea’s Kim Yeon-Koung with 137. Hooker has logged 87 spikes with 14 blocks and 3 serves.

Brazil and Serbia will not be continuing in the second phase, having been eliminated after the first round. Russia, Italy, Japan and the Dominican Republic also qualified for the second phase out of Group A with Great Britain, the host country, and Algeria having been eliminated.

Hooker and the United States will face the Dominican Republic Aug. 7 in the quarterfinal round of the second phase of competition. The United States is the top qualifier from Group B and will be the top seed going into the second phase of competition.