Longhorn swimmers wrap up their programs in London

The Associated Press

The University of Texas boasts a strong swimming program that has brought home numerous national titles over the last couple of decades. The Longhorns have also sent quite a few swimmers to represent the United States in Olympic competition.

During the past two weeks at the London Olympics, former Longhorns Brendan Hansen and Ricky Berens finished at the top of the podium, each bringing home a gold medal to Texas.

Berens medaled in the 4×200 meter freestyle relay, his second gold medal in this event. He joined the Michael Phelps, Ryan Lochte and Conor Dwyer relay. The relay team finished in 6:59.70, a second slower than the world record they set in Italy in 2009. The gold marks the second medal in London for Berens who claimed silver in the men’s 4×100 meter freestyle relay that occurred earlier in the games. Berens now has three career medals in the Olympics after winning gold in the 4×200 meter freestyle relay in 2008.

Hansen also claimed a relay gold on the last day of the swimming competitions in London. He swam the breaststroke leg of the men’s 4×100 meter medley relay along with Phelps, Matt Grevers and Nathan Adrian. This marks the third gold that Hansen has earned in the 4×100 meter medley relay. Hansen was part of the 2004 and 2008 relay teams that took gold at the previous Olympics. He also took bronze in the 100-meter breaststroke. Hansen now owns six total Olympic medals with three gold, one silver and two bronze medals to his name.

Recent graduate Jimmy Feigen took silver, along with Berens, in the men’s 4×100 meter freestyle relay.

Former Longhorn Troy Dumais, a four-time Olympian, took bronze in the men’s 3-meter synchronized springboard event, his first Olympic medal.