Cowboys suffer first upset among Big 12 contenders

AP_Notebookphoto
The Associated Press

Oklahoma State quarterback Wes Lunt (11) hands off to running back Joseph Randle, left, against Arizona during the first half of an NCAA college football game at Arizona Stadium in Tucson, Ariz., Saturday, Sept. 8, 2012.

No. 18 Oklahoma State became the first of the ranked Big 12 teams to lose Saturday, falling to Arizona 59-38.

Coming off of an 84-0 win against an inferior Savannah State in week one, the Cowboys failed their first true test of the year in allowing the Wildcats to compile 501 offensive yards and to score at least 10 points in every quarter. The Cowboys were plagued by turnovers too as quarterback Wes Lunt threw three interceptions, one of which was returned for a score, and running back Joseph Randle lost a fumble.

Arizona running back Ka’Deem Carey found the end zone four times and totaled 154 yards from scrimmage to lead the way for the Wildcats.

The Cowboys did not lose until their 11th game of 2011-12 in what was the only loss of their Big 12 Conference championship season.

TCU’s Patterson becomes winningest coach in school history 
Gary Patterson won his 110th contest as TCU’s head coach with the Horned Frogs’ 56-0 win over Grambling State Saturday, passing Dutch Meyer as the winningest coach in school history. In the midst of his 12th season with the Horned Frogs, Patterson improved his record to 110-30 since joining the team. He has only failed to reach a bowl once in his tenure as head coach, and he is 7-4 all-time in bowl games with TCU.

“It is really kind of amazing to be here, going into a new conference, having the opportunity to play in a new stadium and passing a legend like Dutch Meyer,” Patterson said.

Quarterbacks star in offensive outbursts
A number of Big 12 quarterbacks put up gaudy numbers in the second week of the collegiate season. TCU’s quarterbacks Casey Pachall and Trevone Boykin combined to go 17-for-17, which set a FBS record for most passes without an incompletion. Texas Tech’s Seth Doege tied a career high with five touchdown passes against Texas State, and he threw for 319 yards on 25-for-32 passing. Dual-threat Collin Klein threw for 210 yards and a touchdown and ran for 71 yards and three scores in Kansas State’s blowout 52-13 win over Miami, and Texas’ David Ash went 16-for-22 for 221 yards and two touchdowns while also scoring on a 49-yard run.

The Oklahoma Sooners were led in part by Heisman-hopeful Landry Jones, who went for 252 yards and a pair of scores, and Oklahoma State’s Lunt threw for 436 yards and four touchdowns but was ultimately beleaguered by three picks.

Former Big 12 members fall in SEC debuts
Both Texas A&M and Missouri struggled in their SEC debuts, as both fell to ranked conference opponents Saturday. The Aggies started strong in their first game since leaving the Big 12, leading No. 24 Florida 17-10 at halftime and holding the Gators to just one touchdown and 13 points through three quarters. The offense sputtered in the second half however, failing to score in the third or fourth quarter, and Florida scored on a 12-yard Mike Gillislee run early in the fourth to go up for good.

Missouri was also shut down in its first taste of SEC action, with No. 7 Georgia stomping the Tigers, 41-20. The Tigers too led at halftime, 10-9, before allowing the Bulldogs to go off for 15 points in the third quarter and 17 in the fourth in what turned out to be a lopsided victory for Georgia.