Defense proves stingy

2012-09-08_UT_VS_New_Mexico_Lawrence
Lawrence Peart

Jackson Jeffcoat makes a tackle against New Mexico Saturday Night. In the rout, Jeffcoat made a huge impact on the defense by producing five tackles, two-and-a-half for a loss with a forced fumble.

Shutouts are difficult to pitch on any level, and the Longhorns employed a bend-but-not-break attitude to secure theirs.

Early in the game the New Mexico offense gashed the Texas defense to the ground with its triple-option attack. However, the Longhorns always managed to shape up when the ball entered their half of the field.

Texas allowed 231 yards of total offense, but not a single one of those yards was gained in the Longhorn red zone.

“They appear to do a good job of being able to fight against pressure,” defensive coordinator Manny Diaz said. “We were out there for more snaps at times then we wanted to be, but we never gave the big one away.”

Monroe, Johnson find the end zone
D.J. Monroe was able to follow up a strong week one performance with a strong showing against the Lobos. Monroe only touched the ball twice, but on one of those opportunities he scored on a six-yard reverse, bowling over a defender to reach the end zone for the second straight week.

However, it was his fellow quick strike option, freshman Daje Johnson, who made the biggest impression of the game.

Johnson, who was suspended for the Wyoming contest for an unspecified violation of team rules, only took a few plays to leave his imprint on the scoreboard. On the third touch of his college career, he took a little dump-off pass from quarterback David Ash and raced 45 yards on his way to the score.

Johnson should see more playing time as the season wears on. He’s explosive and brings an element to the field that the Longhorns covet.

“He’s fast and can catch,” head coach Mack Brown said. “He can make you miss him. We don’t time them here, but in the [ESPN] Opening he ran a 4.3 [second 40-yard dash]. He’s 185 pounds, so he’s got a chance every time he touches it to score.”

Jeffcoat makes an impact
Last week Jackson Jeffcoat fell behind Alex Okafor in the friendly race on the team for the most sacks, but he was able to equal his fellow defensive end against New Mexico.

Midway through the first quarter, Jeffcoat streaked through the line of scrimmage to sack New Mexico quarterback B.R. Holbrook for a 10-yard loss. Later in the game, Jeffcoat forced a fumble deep in Lobos territory that led to a Texas touchdown a few plays later.

Jeffcoat had five tackles in the game, including two-and-a-half that went for a loss.

Kicker still a question mark
Freshman Nick Jordan had a shaky start to his college career last week when he went 1-of-3 on field goal attempts, and it didn’t get much better against the Lobos.

Jordan started off the game well, making a 32-yarder in the second quarter, but he spoiled a Quandre Diggs interception when he pulled a 45-yard attempt wide left later in the period.

This makes Jordan 2-of-5 this season, and he has yet to hit a field goal of over 35 yards. Brown seemed to be a little upset with his kicker after the miss, as he allowed fellow freshman Nick Rose to take the majority of the extra point attempts for the remainder of the game.

Ash doesn’t care about stats
Ash had a career day through the air, passing for 221 yards and a pair of touchdowns — his previous career high was 158 yards last season against Missouri — with the biggest of the passes coming off a little pitch to Johnson, which went for 45 yards.

It wasn’t pretty, but Ash will take it. Besides, it looked good in the box score.

“That’s a stat builder right there,” Ash said with a sarcastic quip. “But stats are for losers anyway.”