Men’s Tennis Weekend Preview

The Texas Longhorns’ highly touted men’s tennis team is looking to get its fall season off to a good start this weekend, playing in two separate tournaments in two different parts of the country. Head coach Michael Center and a group of underclassmen will head to Midland to compete in the Racquet Club Collegiate Invitational, while assistant head coach Ricardo Rubio will lead a group of upperclassmen to Chicago where they will compete in the Olympia Fields Club Invitational.

Heading to Midland are freshmen Andrew Korinek and Nick Naumann, along with sophomores Jacoby Lewis and Joey Swaysland. The tournament hosts athletes from 14 different schools, including Texas A&M and a number of other Big 12 schools. The Longhorns are no strangers to success out in Midland as senior Daniel Whitehead won the tournament last year.

On the other side of the country, the Longhorns will bring junior David Holiner and a trio of seniors made up of Chris Camillone, Alex Hilliard and Ben Chen. Holiner and Camillone open the fall season as the eighth-ranked doubles team.

Texas has four players ranked nationally by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association, but only Holiner, ranked 99th, will be competing this weekend. Holiner finished his sophomore campaign with a 25-8 record and All-Big 12 honors, and will be looking to parlay that into a stellar junior season.

Both tournaments will begin today and carry over into the weekend, with the finals being played Sunday.