Notre Dame joins ACC, Nebraska loses starting tackle

The Associated Press

No. 10 Davaris Daniels of Notre Dame

With another week of college football in the books, there has been no shortage of excitement both on and off the field. Let’s take a look at some of the notes around the country.

• Notre Dame has agreed to join the Atlantic Coast Conference in all sports except football. The Irish have historically been an Independent when it comes to football and the University didn’t want to jeopardize the school’s culture in any way. However, Notre Dame will annually play five ACC opponents in football. The Fighting Irish has been given notice by the Big East conference (the school’s current home for non-football sports) that the University must give 27 months notice and pay a $5 million exit fee. This closes the door on the rumors that Notre Dame would one day become a part of the Big 12.

• LSU has ruled junior linebacker Tahj Jones, among 3 others, academically ineligible for the remainder of the season. Jones was one of the Tigers’ most experienced linebackers and likely will be replaced by junior Luke Muncie.

• Mississippi State could be in some trouble with the NCAA as rumors are spreading that booster Robert Denton Herring gave money to “five or six” Bulldog players over the summer during 7-on-7 tournaments. Booster benefits have become mainstay in the college football conversation the past few seasons.

• Nebraska starting sophomore defensive tackle Chase Rome has withdrawn from the football program. This is coming after the Cornhuskers’ 36-30 loss at UCLA in which Nebraska gave up 344 yards on the ground.

• New Mexico State will become an Independent football program in 2013. This comes amidst major conference transformations the past couple of years. The Aggies are currently playing their final year in the Western Athletic Conference.

• It seems Louisiana-Monroe was paid handsomely to upset one of the nation’s top-ranked teams. ULM received $950,000 for agreeing to play Arkansas in Little Rock last week. The Warhawks shocked the Razorbacks, 34-31, prompting Arkansas to drop from the polls after being ranked eighth, the biggest drop in ranking since Michigan fell from No. 5 after losing to Appalachian State at home in 2007. In an odd circumstance, Louisiana-Monroe was actually considered the home team, stemming from an agreement dating back to 2004 that helps ULM with attendance averages and maintains the school’s FBS status.

• Former Connecticut and current Maryland head coach Randy Edsall showed remorse this week over his exit from UConn. Edsall was criticized for flying straight to Maryland for a job interview following the Huskies’ loss to Oklahoma in the 2011 Fiesta Bowl without informing his players of his decision to leave. In a press conference this week Edsall expressed his feelings, “If I could do it over again, I wish that there was some way that I could see the players and tell them face-to-face that I was going to leave and come to Maryland,” Edsall said. Maryland hosts Connecticut Saturday night.

• After last weekend, Michigan State and Florida State are the only two FBS teams to have not allowed an offensive touchdown.