Players to Watch 9-14

Bo Wallace

By far the best opposing player the Longhorns have faced this season, sophomore quarterback Bo Wallace is a player that must be contained for the Longhorns to find success. Wallace is a dual-threat quarterback, similar to Brad Smith of Wyoming, who is as talented with his arm as he is with his legs. He enters this game with a 76-percent completion rate to go along with five passing touchdowns and a lone interception. He’s also carried the ball 24 times for 135 yards and two touchdowns. At 6-foot-4, Wallace is of premier size for the quarterback position, and can see his receivers perfectly to dissect opposing defenses. Wallace is also a transfer from East Mississippi Junior College who received some attention from the Longhorns in January when on the recruiting trail. Although he hasn’t faced a defense like the Longhorns’ yet, his numbers make him a player that needs to be watched, and certainly respected.

Donte Moncrief

Sophomore Donte Moncrief has proven already that he has made big improvements from his first season. With 176 receiving yards in two games, Moncrief has already eclipsed a fourth of the yards he had all of last season. At 6-foot-2, and 214 pounds, Moncrief isn’t a huge receiver but has already become a favorite target of Wallace, hauling in two of Wallace’s five touchdown passes this season. Moncrief will enter this game as the leading receiver from either team, with 11 receptions on the year. Expect to see him targeted often as the 1-2 punch of Wallace and Moncrief will look to find weaknesses in Manny Diaz’s defense.

Mike Marry

Junior linebacker Mike Marry is a defensive player that the Longhorns should look out for when making their offensive game plan for Saturday. Marry entered this season as the leading tackler for the Rebels, accumulating 80 tackles last season. He enters week three against the Longhorns coming off an impressive performance against UTEP, where he compiled eight tackles and a sack. He will definitely use every bit of his big frame to plug the holes that the Longhorn runners like to capitalize on every week. If there is a player who the Texas offensive line should look to keep out of the backfield, it’s Marry.