Rachel Fox transferring from Texas

Rising junior Rachel Fox has confirmed that she will be transferring from Texas and intends to choose her future destination in the next few weeks.

Fox served as the team’s No. 2 pitcher behind Blaire Luna in both of her years with the Longhorns. She posted a career record of 32-4 with a 1.72 ERA, striking out 212 and walking 76 in 243.2 innings while holding opposing hitters to a .214 batting average. A highly touted prospect from Fort Bend Baptist Academy High School in Sugar Land, Texas, Fox cited the desire to be a team’s ace pitcher among the many reasons she decided to leave Texas.

If Fox transfers to another Division I school, she will have to sit out next year. If she transfers to a Division II program, she would be eligible to pitch right away.

“Rachel was a very good student-athlete for us,” the University of Texas athletics department said in a statement issued to The Daily Texan. “She did not return to us this season but we wish her well in here future endeavors.”

Luna, who went 22-6 with a 2.31 ERA last year, will be a senior this upcoming season. She and Fox remain good friends and speak regularly despite no longer being teammates. Sophomore Gabby Smith and senior Kim Bruins, along with Luna, are the only three pitchers currently on the Longhorns roster.

Bruins, who also played first base, went 7-5 with a 3.29 ERA, while Smith went 4-0 with a 2.15 ERA in 2011. Texas finished last season ranked eighth in the country, behind top-ranked Alabama and fourth-ranked Oklahoma, whom the Crimson Tide defeated to claim their first national title.

Texas was eliminated by Louisiana-Lafayette in the regional round UT hosted in 2011, Fox’s freshman year. The following season, the Longhorns were eight outs away from reaching the Women’s College World Series before dropping two straight games to Oregon in the Super Regional.

Fox won her first 12 decisions, suffering her first defeat in a 9-3 loss to Oklahoma on May 5. Texas won 32 of its first 34 games last season before losing six of its next 11 and eventually falling in a best-of-three Super Regional to Oregon in Austin, squandering an opportunity to make its first ever Women’s College World Series Final appearance.

Printed on Thursday, September 20, 2012 as: Rachel Fox will transfer