Second half assault too much for Longhorns

2012-08-31_Texas_vs_Virginia_0-3_Zachary_Strain573
Zachary Strain

Though the cougars scored five goals in the second half, goalie Ava Vogel made eight saves for the Longhorns.

In just their second game away from Austin Thursday, the Longhorns were looking for their first signature win of the season. And if only one half had been played, Texas might have had a shot. After a scoreless first half, BYU came out for the second half firing and defeated the Longhorns, 5-0.

The Texas defense gave itself a chance following the first 45 minutes of the game. It was able to withstand bursts from BYU to keep the Longhorns in the game going into the second half, but Texas’ inability to get any momentum on offense put all the pressure on the defense, who couldn’t hold off the high-powered Cougar offense.

“Full credit to BYU. That is one of the most explosive teams I have seen in a long time,” said Texas head coach Angela Kelly. “We will learn from this match, and it will make us stronger.”

Although the score may not reflect it, sophomore goalkeeper Ava Vogel matched a career high in saves with eight. Vogel has made 18 saves throughout the last three games. The Cougars just had too many shots and scoring opportunities that overshadowed Vogel’s performance.

This marks the third time this season Texas has been the victim of a shutout loss, but this one is sure to sting more than the others. After two consecutive 1-0 losses in mid-August, Texas lost 3-0 to Virginia and 2-1 to New Mexico to go along with Thursday’s five-goal defeat. In the past three games, Texas has been outscored 10-1.

The road doesn’t get any easier for Texas as it travels to Salt Lake City to take on a Utah team that is riding a four-game unbeaten streak that includes three wins. Utah also handed BYU its only loss of the season in late August with a 1-0 win. Texas will have to recover from this game quickly if it wants to reverse some of the momentum that has piled up against it.

Texas and Utah kick off at 1 p.m. Saturday.