Soccer loses 1-0 to Utah over the weekend

After a disastrous game against BYU, Texas took on Utah, who has not lost a game since mid-August. Another scoreless first half gave Texas a chance to pick up a significant win, but Utah pulled out a 1-0 win.

Texas was able to play a large portion of the first half in the attacking third of the field and fired the first shots of the game. However, it couldn’t get a good shot on goal, forcing the Utes goalkeeper, Lindsey Luke, to make only two saves throughout the game.

The Longhorns held off a Utah offensive surge to keep the game 0-0 heading into halftime.

Utah went on the offensive in the 51st minute, registering multiple shots over the next few minutes. Utah took 20 shots in the game, compared to Texas’ four. The Longhorns only managed two shots on goal, while Utah kept sophomore goalkeeper Ava Vogel busy with seven shots on target. Utah had the advantage on the attacking third of the field, with its aggressive play also resulting in five corner kicks, while Texas only managed one.

Utah broke the draw in the 56th minute with a goal from sophomore Jill Robison.

Vogel kept Texas in the game with saves as the game wore on, but the Longhorns were unable to put together much of an attack as the game came to a close.

Texas returns to Austin for a matchup with Fresno State on Friday and Denver on Sunday. Texas and Fresno State will kick off at 8 p.m. Friday in the last weekend of games before conference play begins.