Women’s Soccer fails to finish strong

With an opportunity to get its first marquee win of the season, Texas dropped a pair of games over the weekend, falling to 2-4 on the season.

Friday’s match against Virginia was Texas’ first against a ranked opponent, and the Cavaliers lived up to their ranking. The No. 10 Cavaliers got a goal in the 20th minute, which ended up being the deciding goal in a 3-0 contest.

The teams traded shots in the first few minutes with each school getting good looks, but neither was able to capitalize.

Virginia’s Molly Menchel put a volley in the upper right corner of the goal to give the Cavaliers the lead going into
the second half.

Virginia added two insurance tallies after half time, and Texas was unable to put any shots past Virginia’s goalkeeper, Churchill O’Connell, despite having more chances than Virginia.

After falling in the first major test of the season, the Longhorns were unable to recover Sunday as New Mexico scored its winning goal in extra time to steal a 2-1 game.

Texas got on the board early with a goal in the 10th minute.

Sophomore Sharis Lachappelle registered her first career goal with a header from the free kick of Kristin Cummins.

The game wore on with Texas clinging to a one-goal lead until the Lobos managed a tally in the 90th minute to extend the game. After a scoreless first overtime period, New Mexico pounced on a midfield turnover to give Jordan Craig her second goal of the game, the winner for the Lobos.

Texas outshot both Virginia and New Mexico for the fourth and fifth time of the season, but its inability to finish has led to its four losses.

Cummins and junior Gabby Zarnegar were both selected for the Time Warner Cable Texas Invitational All-Tournament Team.

Texas will travel to Provo, Utah, for a match against BYU Thursday. It will be only the second match for Texas outside
of Austin.