Longhorns finished fourth at Mason Rudolph Championship

After staying in the top two in the first and second rounds, the Longhorns slipped up Sunday on their way to a fourth-place finish at the Mason Rudolph Championship in Franklin, Tenn. Texas finished its first tournament of the season with a combined score of 34-over-par.

The Longhorns started out the weekend with a strong opening round on Friday, holding a four-shot lead over Arizona. Seniors Katelyn Sepmoree and Desiree Dubreuil and freshman Tezira Abe each turned in rounds of 1-over-par to give Texas the early lead.

Senior Haley Stephens led the team on Saturday, finishing her second round 1-under-par. Abe finished at an even 72, but despite her efforts, the Longhorns slipped back to second, trailing Arizona by five strokes.

Sunday saw the Longhorns fall even further back. Dubreuil, Sepmoree and Stephens each shot a 77 in the final round. As a team, Texas shot a 21-over 309.

Arizona won the tournament with a 25-over-par, followed by Virginia and Michigan State. Emilie Burger of Georgia took home the individual title with an even-par 216.

Individually, Dubreuil and Abe led the Longhorns with a 7-over-par and finished tied for seventh over the weekend. Stephens finished tied for 15th with a 9-over-par.

Sepmoree ended her weekend tied for 28th with a 13-over-par.

Competing as individuals, freshman Natalie Karcher tied for 41st and senior Madison Pressel finished 58th. Karcher shot a 16-over-par and Pressel shot a 20-over-par.

The tournament featured the collegiate debut of three freshmen. In addition to Abe and Karcher, freshman Taylor Kim shot a 24-over-par and finished tied for 66th.

The Longhorns will next compete at the Stanford Invitational in Palo Alto, CA on Oct. 19 – 21.