Longhorns finish tied for third

A final round surge Tuesday was not enough to put the Texas men’s golf team over the top at the PING/Golfweek Preview as the Longhorns finished the three-day event in a tie for third.

No. 2 Texas recorded its best score of the tournament on the final day, carding an even-par 280 as a team. After starting the day in a tie for seventh, the Longhorns climbed to a tie for third place with University of Nevada-Las Vegas, but their overall score of 13-over 853 was eight strokes behind the leaders.

Georgia Tech and California tied for first place by each tallying a score of 5-over 845 to lead the 15-team field. After leading at the conclusion of each of the first two rounds, UCLA slipped to a tie for fifth after shooting an 8-over 288 Tuesday.

Tom Berry of San Diego State finished atop the individual leaderboard with a three-day score of 2-under 208 and was the only player to record a score under par. Eight players tied for second place by each shooting a score of even-par 210.

Freshman Brandon Stone and senior Julio Vegas led the Longhorns in the event, carding scores of 3-over 213 to tie for 16th among individuals. Junior Toni Hakula finished in a tie for 26th by shooting a 5-over 215, and sophomore Jordan Spieth and senior Cody Gribble tied for 35th after each recording a score of 7-over 217 for the tournament.

After winning their first tournament of the year at the Carpet Capital Collegiate earlier in September, the defending national champion Longhorns were unable to carry their momentum into their second event. They will get their next opportunity to claim first in an event at the Isleworth Collegiate Invitational in Windermere, Fla., which takes place Oct. 21-23.

Printed on Wednesday, September 26, 2012 as: Comeback too late for Horns