Longhorns win fall season opener

Texas opened its limited fall schedule with a 13-2 bashing of the Incarnate Word Cardinals this past weekend. Although it’s only fall, the team approached this game like any other.

“We had one primary goal tonight and that was seeing what our process was going to look like in week one and game one and their routines and how they got to the next pitch,” head coach Connie Clark said. “I think we scored a B on that tonight.”

Four pitchers stepped on the mound, all showing the fans what they have to look forward to this season. Senior Kim Bruins started the game by throwing two hitless innings before being relieved by sophomore Gabby Smith who struck out one in her only inning.

Freshman Holly Kern claimed two strikeouts in her two-inning debut before senior All-American Blaire Luna closed out the last two frames, allowing no hits and one run.

Kern looked strong at the plate as well with two hits and one RBI. Juniors Brejae Washington and Mandy Ogle also played key roles with one and two RBIs respectively.

The Longhorns will continue prepping for the regular season with St. Mary’s this Friday.

“We had to remind them in team practice Monday, since we just started team practice this week, the one thing is we’ll be as good as we’re going to be on Sept. 28,” Clark said. “We’re going to tack on a measurable goal each week and each time we play.”

Printed on Monday, October 1, 2012 as: Horns excel in fall exhibition opener