Three UT students advance in All-American Championships

With the field dwindling as the ITA All-American Championships near their end, only three Longhorns remain in the competition.

In the main singles draw, Daniel Whitehead fell in the first round to Alex Domijan from Virginia. But Soren Hess-Olesen won his first and second-round matches in straight sets to advance to the round of 16. He will face Japie De Klerk today for the chance to advance to the quarterfinals.

The pair of Sudanwa Sitaram and Whitehead was eliminated in the first round of the doubles draw to bring the tournament to a close for both. Chris Camillone and David Holiner used an 8-6 win over Robin Cambier and Jeff Mullen to advance to the round of 16. The fourth-seeded pair will face Jarryd Chaplin and Mikelis Libietis out of Tennessee, with the winner advancing to the elite eight.

Texas has made a significant improvement on its performance from last season. It did not advance a single athlete into the main draw for either singles or doubles play, but its performance this season has given the Longhorns a chance at two titles this season.

A win Friday would put either of the Longhorns into the semifinals Saturday, with the finals of both the singles and doubles play taking place Sunday. After being shut out of main draw play last season, Texas is already ahead for this season. But with the championships only a few wins away, the Longhorns might as well enjoy their stay in Tulsa as long as they can.