UT vs WVU second half update

wv_vs_ut271
Zachary Strain

Wide receiver Marquise Goodwin carries the ball in the first half.

Anthony Fera started the scoring off the scoring in the second half by hitting his first field goal as a Longhorn.  The 38-yard field goal put the Longhorns up 31-27.

Geno Smith hit Stedman Bailey for his second touchdown of the night on a 9-yard beauty in the back of the end zone. 

Ash threw a 23-yard pass to Jaxon Shipley to get the West Virginia 35-yard line.  The Longhorns took advantage of the field position and Bergeron scored his fourth touchdown of the game with a 4-yard run, putting the Longhorns up 38-34.

Bailey’s third touchdown catch of the game gave the Mountaineers a 41-38 lead.

Texas failed to convert on a forth and thirteen, giving the Mountaineers the ball on their own 39-yard line. But, it didn’t seem to matter and Alex Okafor forced his second fumble of the game and Chris Whaley recovered the ball at the West Virginia 12.

But, the defense’s heroics didn’t matter. A botched snap gave the Longhorns a loss of 16-yards and Anthony Fera missed the 41-yard field goal wide right.  The score remained in favor of the Mountaineers by three.

West Virginia’s Andrew Buis rushed for a 5-yard touchdown to increase the Mountaineer’s lead to 48-38.

Ash brought the Longhorns closer to the Mountaineers with a 8-yard touchdown pass to Marquise Goodwin.  But it wasn’t enough and the Mountaineers handed the Longhorns their first loss of the season, 48-45.