Texas carries five-game unbeaten streak into weekend

2012-10-05_Soccer_vs_OSU_1_0_win_Zachary_Strain1712
Zachary Strain

After toppling the defending conference champions, Texas now stands second in the Big 12 standings with nine points. West Virginia leads the conference with 15 points off five straight wins to begin conference play. Now, the Longhorns face tougher opposition with Texas Tech and Kansas coming into Austin this weekend.

The action starts Friday at 5:30 p.m. against Texas Tech. The Red Raiders are one of only three teams in the conference with at least 10 wins, sharing that distinction with Oklahoma State and Baylor. They are tied for fourth in the conference with a 2-2 conference record. The Jayhawks, who Texas will play Sunday at 1 p.m., also enter Friday with a 2-2 conference record.

Texas Tech has yet to record a shutout in conference play and has allowed three goals in each of its two losses this season, recording a pair of 3-2 losses in Big 12 play to conference leader West Virginia and an 11-win Baylor squad. This will be the first road game for Texas Tech since its loss to West Virginia in Morgantown on Sept. 21.

Kansas has a similar record to Texas Tech, with conference losses to Baylor and West Virginia. The Jayhawks’ defense was able to pressure both the Bears and the Mountaineers better than the Red Raiders, but still fell 1-0 to both. Kansas’ stronger defense will present a different playing style to Texas Tech, which will force Texas to adjust to both styles this weekend if it wants to stay unbeaten in Big 12 play.

Printed on Friday, October 12, 2012 as: Texas to be pushed by Tech offense