Texas gets ready to tee off against former Longhorns

It’s not very often that Texas gets a chance to play at an event that is both competitive and fun, but this weekend is one of those few opportunities.

Texas will host its annual Weis Cup Alumni Match this Sunday at The University of Texas Golf Club, bringing in Longhorn alumni to compete with current players.

“It’s good competition,” senior Haley Stephens said. “Some of the alumni have gone on to play professionally, but there’s still a lot of joking around and it’s a good environment.”

The Weis Cup, now in its eighth year, pits current players against former alumni in a team-style match, with the team that has the most points at the end of the day taking home the cup.

“It’s a good reminder that the alumni support you,” Stephens said. “It gets me in the mindset of what golf is about and it relieves stress.”

Though they’ve been away from the college game for a while, some of the alumni participating in the match have continued on in golf, including Sherri Steinhauer, who graduated in 1985, and won eight events on the LPGA Tour, including the Women’s British Open in 2006.

For the current players, this is a tune-up for their upcoming competitive event next weekend in Stanford, Calif.

“Anytime you have competition and are fighting to win, it’s a better way to play than just practicing,” Stephens said. “You get in that competitive mindset. More people are watching and you get a bigger sense of the crowd.”