Texas splits weekend matches, remains near top of conference standings

After seeing its five-game winning streak snapped by Texas Tech on Friday, Texas rebounded with a 1-0 win over Kansas Sunday to remain in prime position in the Big 12.

“I’m pleased with the result,” head coach Angela Kelly said. “I’m pleased with how we responded. It was much more of a business-like fashion of a win for us today.”

Texas created many opportunities for itself with possession in Kansas’ third of the field and in the box. But it could not get that one extra touch or pass to create opportunistic shots. Texas finally got the shot it needed in the 34th minute. A deflected shot off its second corner of the day set up Brooke Gilbert for her first goal of the season.

That was all that Texas needed, as it held off Kansas’ attacks for the rest of the game for its third 1-0 win in conference play.

Four of Texas’ five conference games have been 1-0 decisions, with the Longhorns coming out on top of three of them. The lone loss came Friday as Texas Tech gave Texas its first home loss since early September. The Red Raiders scored in the 58th minute and held the Longhorns scoreless for the first time in conference play. Texas had gone seven complete halves without allowing a goal.

Texas, now 4-1 in conference play, is second in the Big 12 standings, with away games against Baylor and TCU on tap for this weekend.