Longhorns Look to Shine At Stanford Invitational

About a month after their last tournament, the Longhorns will compete in the Stanford Invitational in Palo Alto, Calif. this weekend.

Despite the long layoff, head coach Martha Richards said the team looks really good going into the tournament.

“We’ve got a really deep team,” Richards said. “We’re eight deep, and we’ve got a great five going, and we’re leaving three really good players at home, and it’s a good situation to be in. I like the way everybody’s playing.”

While they haven’t played a competitive match since their tournament at Vanderbilt, the Longhorns hosted their annual Weis Cup Alumni match Sunday and won 5-1. Richards said it was good to have that match to get the team back into the competitive flow.

“It got us back into the competitive mode,” Richards said. “We’ve had some inter-team matches, but I think we’re excited to play a couple more tournaments here, and I think we’re in a good place.”

The Longhorns also made strides in the rankings during their layoff. Texas moved up to the No. 7 position in the Golfweek team rankings, and freshman Tezira Abe and senior Desiree Dubreuil are ranked No. 32 and 33, respectively.

Even though she’s ranked highly as a freshman, Abe said she doesn’t feel any pressure.

“I’m just really excited to be here,” Abe said. “I want to keep building on that. The goal is still to win a national championship, and I really want to be a part of that.”

Also competing in the Stanford tournament are five other top 10 schools, including No. 1 Washington. Despite that lineup, Abe said she believes the Longhorns can still come out with a strong finish.

“My very first collegiate tournament I finished tied for 10th with Desiree, and that was a really good time,” Abe said. “I just want to keep building on that.”