Longhorns start well, doubles teams remain in championship hunt

The Longhorns made plenty of noise this weekend with the Texas Regionals under way in Waco. Four Longhorns took action in the singles round of 32, with two advancing further.

Sophomore Noel Scott started the weekend strong, as she cruised through her first three matches, all in straight sets, and went on to defeat Texas A&M’s Wen Sun (6-4, 6-3) to advance to the quarterfinals. Scott hit a roadblock Sunday afternoon as she was eliminated by Aggie Cristina Sanchez-Quintanar (6-4, 6-2).

Senior Aerial Ellis advanced to the round of 16 in a different manner than that of her teammate Scott. After a bye in the first round, Ellis went to three sets in each of her next three matches. She won the first two (6-2, 2-6, 6-1) and (7-5, 4-6, 6-4), but was upended by TCU’s Stefanie Tan (1-6, 6-3, 2-6) in her third match.

Junior Elizabeth Begley and sophomore Lina Padegimaite also appeared in the round of 32. Begley was eliminated in straight sets to Rice’s Natalie Beazant (7-5, 6-4). Unfortunately, Padegimaite retired due to injury in the second set of her match against Texas Tech’s Elizabeth Ullathorne.

Two Longhorn doubles teams experienced success during the weekend, and put themselves in a position to meet in the semifinals. The team of Ellis and Scott reached the quarterfinals with two 8-3 match wins. Begley and Padegimaite advanced to the quarterfinals with match wins of 8-2 and 9-7.

The pairs look to advance to the final four Monday morning.