Horns Hope to Right the Ship at Longhorn Invitational

The Longhorns will look to get back on track this weekend at their own Betsy Rawls Longhorn Invitational after last week’s performance at the Stanford Invitational.

At the Stanford Invitational, Texas finished last out of the 17 competing teams with a score of 904, 52-over par. Senior Haley Stephens said the team has to put that tournament behind them. 

“We didn’t play to our abilities,” Stephens said. “There are a lot of good teams coming up, and we have to move forward. We can’t lose the mindset that we’re playing golf.”

Because of the bad finish in the tournament, the Longhorns fell from sixth to 34th in the Golfweek team rankings and have no individual players in the top 50.

Despite all of that, Stephens said they walked off of the course learning how they want to compete.

“We have to give it our all all the time,” Stephens said. “We have to fall in love with the game. You can’t get beat up. You have to learn to stop the bleeding and brush it off.”

For this tournament, the Longhorns will be playing on their home course at The University of Texas Golf Club. Stephens said that it’s just an awesome time.

“A lot of people come out to this tournament,” Stephens said. “We have the home-course advantage. It’s really cool to see the support you have from your teammates, classmates and people who work at the University.”

While the strength of the field lightens up this week, the Longhorns still have to face three top 10 schools in order to defend their title. Despite the competition, Stephens said they still have a good shot to repeat.

“We won it last year, and we have the ability to do it again this year,” Stephens said.