Texas earns a rematch with TCU for a spot in the conference finals

TCU shocked Texas for its first and only win in conference play Oct. 21. On Wednesday, the Horned Frogs pulled off another upset by taking down the regular season conference champions.

West Virginia had not lost in 13 games, and had won nine games during that streak. But TCU was able to pull off the upset against the top team in the conference.

Now Texas gets another chance at the Horned Frogs with a shot at the conference finals at stake. West Virginia had not been shut out since an early September draw against Miami, but TCU was able to shut down the West Virginia offense while being only the third Big 12 team to score twice against the Mountaineers.

Texas beat rival Oklahoma in a coming-out party for freshman forward Kelsey Shimmick. She scored two goals and forced an own goal against the Sooners. The three-goal win was the largest for the Longhorns since a 4-0 win against Iowa State in their first conference game.

The other side of the bracket went as expected, with Texas Tech and Baylor each recording multi-goal wins to advance to the semifinals. The Bears won a 3-2 overtime game against the Red Raiders earlier this season. Baylor is one of two teams that haven’t lost a regular season conference game this season, along with West Virginia.

Of the remaining four teams, only Texas has won the Big 12 tournament in the past. The Longhorns won two in a row in 2006 and 2007. Two wins separate TCU and Texas from a guaranteed spot in the NCAA tournament after sub-.500 seasons. Texas Tech and Baylor are a combined 30-5-5 and are likely to get at-large bids for the tournament.

Texas and TCU will play at 5:30 p.m. Friday with Texas Tech and Baylor kicking off at 8 p.m. The championship will be played at 1 p.m. Sunday and will be shown on FSN.