Texas finishes fall tournament play at UT Invitational

The Texas Longhorns men’s tennis team wrapped up its fall season as it hosted the UT Invitational this past weekend. This marked the last team tournament that the Longhorns will participate in until the spring season.

The Longhorns began the round of 32 in the Singles A draw strong, winning seven out of eight, but were only able to advance junior David Holiner and sophomore Soren Hess-Olesen out of the round of 16. Both Holiner and Hess-Olesen were defeated by No. 6 Costin Paval and Dane Webb of Oklahoma in the quarterfinals. Andrew Korinek and Lloyd Glasspool advanced to the finals of the Voluntary A draw, but did not play against one another.

Alex Hilliard made a second-round exit in the Singles B draw after cruising through his first match (6-0, 6-1). Senior Ben Chen placed runner-up by defeating BSU’s Alex Brym (6-3, 6-3) on Friday, OU’s Nick Papac in the quarterfinals (6-4, 6-3), and Marquette’s Cham Tehrani (7-5, 6-4) in the semifinals before being defeated by TCU’s Orlando Superlano in a three-set finals match (6-4, 1-6, 6-3).

Unranked Texas doubles team Hilliard and Korinek defeated No. 4 seed Nick Chappell/Superlano of TCU and Guillermo Alcorta/Axel Alvarez Llamas of OU before losing to the top doubles team in the nation — OU’s Paval/Webb — in the semifinals. Glasspool/Joey Swaysland also advanced out of the round of 16 with a win over UTA’s Sebastian Gomez/Sebastian Erimicioiu before being defeated in the semifinals by OU’s Peerakit Siributwong/Leonard Stakhovsky. The two OU doubles teams did not play in the finals.