Enemkpali, Longhorns Dominate WBI Tipoff Classic

Two games down, and Karen Aston has already cracked a smile.

The Women’s Basketball team emerged from the WBI Tip Off Classic with two wins this weekend. The weekend marked a series of firsts for a squad that seems poised for big things this season.

In the opening game against a tough St. John’s squad, the Longhorns edged out a 70-60 victory behind Nneka Enemkpali’s first career double-double. Enemkpali finished the game with a career high 25 points and 12 rebounds.

After being named to the Wooden Award Preseason Top 30 List early Friday, junior Chassidy Fussell lived up to the billing, adding 23 points of her own. She also extended her free throws streak to 30-straight. 

In a 72-52 drubbing of Hofstra University in the closing game, Enempkpali continued her impressive play, recording another double-double with 26 points and 10 rebounds. The sophomore was later named the MVP of the tournament.

Fussell again provided key support, finishing with 18 points and nine rebounds on her way to being named to the All-Tournament team.

In addition to Enemkpali’s and Fussell’s dominance, freshmen Empress Davenport, Celina Rodrigo, Brady Sanders and Imani McGee-Stafford all recorded their first career buckets for the Longhorns. Senior Nadia Taylor recorded her first career minutes for Texas, grabbing a rebound in four minutes against Hofstra.

Leaders have emerged and Aston can stay content as the Longhorns take their 2-0 start into their home opener against Jackson State Nov. 20.