Longhorns thrive in the paint, remain undefeated

The Longhorns were tested a bit more than they expected against Jackson State, but their continued efforts to impose their will in the paint was the key to their 80-53 victory. The Longhorns scored 44 of their 80 points in the paint, a statistic which included 23 second chance points. Outrebounding their opponents has already emerged as a recurring theme for the team as they defeated Jackson State on the glass 55-36 in this game. Nneka Enemkpali continued her dominance by recording her third straight double-double with 24 points and 20 rebounds.

First half: Despite 12 turnovers in the first half, Texas had its way in the paint, scoring 24 of their 43 points down low while outrebounding Jackson State 31-19. Cokie Reed stole the show in the first half with 10 points on 4-4 shooting, 6 rebounds and 4 blocks.

Second half:  Texas was also a bit careless with the ball in the second half, recording 12 turnovers to bring its total to 24 for the game. Enemkpali came to the rescue, scoring 16 points and adding 11 rebounds to bring her stats to a remarkable 24 and 20 for the night. Texas outrebounded Jackson State 55-36 in the second half as its success on the glass propelled it to another win.

By the Numbers:
24- The number of points Texas scored off Jackson State turnovers. Although the Longhorns had 24 turnovers of their own, they took advantage of their opponent’s mistakes to ensure they won the game.

3- The number of consecutive double-doubles for Enemkpali. 44- The number of points Texas scored in the post against Jackson State. The Longhorns’ win was again propelled by their efforts on the glass but their 44 points inside helped them impose their will anytime they wanted down low in this game.

Stock Up: Enemkpali — It’s a bit ludicrous to think that her stock could get any higher, but the sophomore proved that the sky might be the limit as she racked up her third consecutive double-double. In addition to her scoring and low-post brilliance, Enemkpali compiled four steals and five blocks against Jackson State, showing she can be almost anything the Longhorns need on the court.

Stock Down: Texas Ball-Handling — The Longhorns committed 24 turnovers against a team that shouldn’t have fazed them at all. Texas came out in the first half with a lot of sloppy passes that should have translated into more turnovers. The second half was much the same as they recorded twelve turnovers to add to their total. Head Coach Karen Aston’s irritation was evident as the Longhorns found a way to distract from a big win, even if just a little bit.