Scoring barrage fuels Longhorns victory

Texas scored points from every spot on the court on its way to a 94-58 victory over Central Connecticut. The Longhorns eclipsed the 90-point mark for the first time since December of 2011. Another dominating performance in the paint fueled the charge as the women outscored their opponents 42-12 in the low post. Head coach Karen Aston’s style of transition basketball was also successfully realized as the team scored 18 fast-break points while holding Central Connecticut to only two points in transition. Nneka Enemkpali recorded her fourth straight double-double of the season, finishing the game with 21 points and 10 rebounds.

First Half: The Longhorns came out scoring from everywhere on their way to 51 first-half points. This total was the most Texas has scored in the opening stanza since posting 51 against UTPA in 2010. Texas continued its low-post dominance by controlling the paint en route to 32 points down low to Central Connecticut’s four. Chassidy Fussell buoyed the scoring charge with 12 points while Imani McGee-Stafford controlled the paint on defense with three blocks.

Second Half: Texas didn’t slow up in the second half, shooting 64 percent from the field while holding Central Connecticut to only 34 percent. Texas’ five second-half 3-pointers sealed the deal. McGee-Stafford continued her defensive dominance in the half, recording six more blocks to finish the game with nine.

McGee-Stafford saw her stock skyrocket after her 13 point, seven rebound and nine block performance. The nine blocks were the most recorded by a Longhorn since Ashley Gayle racked up 10 on December 28, 2010. After a double-double in her last game, the freshman showcased her prowess and potential on the defensive end to reveal herself as a player to watch for the rest of Texas’ season.

What’s Next
The Longhorns have showcased their offensive efficiency inside and outside on their way to a 4-0 start this season. The squad will return to get back to the practice floor for five days before its next battle against Texas A&M-Corpus Christi Nov. 30.

Printed on Monday, Nov. 26, 2012 as: Enemkpali and McGee-Stafford solid for Texas