With four turnovers, the Texas Longhorns fall to TCU

SIDER_2012_11_22_Football_vs_TCU_Andrew_Torrey431
Andrew Torrey

Johnathan Gray led the Texas offense on Thanksgiving. Gray rushed for only 47 yards in the loss to TCU.

Why Texas Lost
This loss falls on UT’s offense and its turnovers. Texas had four turnovers, three interceptions and one fumble. David Ash’s two interceptions were both in the red zone and his fumble led to a field goal by the Horned Frogs. Of the four times the Longhorns were in the red zone, they scored one touchdown and two field goals. Johnathan Gray was Texas’ leading rusher. He had 12 rushes for 38 yards in the first half and just three carries for nine yards in the second half.

Quarter-by-Quarter 
First: After a promising opening drive, Ash threw an interception in the red zone. TCU’s Matthew Tucker took advantage of the possession and scored a two-yard touchdown. Nick Jordan hit a 25-yard field goal.
Second: Ash threw another interception and lost a fumble. Case McCoy replaced him. TCU’s Jaden Oberkrom hit a field goal to give the Horned Frogs a 14-3 halftime lead.
Third: Both Jordan and Oberkrom hit field goals as the Horned Frogs led 17-6.
Fourth: TCU was held to a field goal in the fourth. Jeremy Hills scored on an 8-yard touchdown. Texas’ comeback attempt was ended when McCoy threw an interception to Sam Carter with less than two minutes left in the game.

By the numbers 
4:1: The turnover ratio. Texas’ four turnovers kept them off the scoreboard, especially since Ash’s interceptions were both in the red zone. McCoy’s interception destroyed any chances of a last minute comeback.
217: TCU’s rushing yards. Texas’ run defense seemed to be improving over the last few weeks. But the Horned Frogs, led by Tucker’s two touchdowns, dominated the line of scrimmage.

Stock down
David Ash: Kansas seemed to be so far away. Since then, he bounced back to have strong performances and beat Texas Tech and Iowa State. But his three turnovers were a huge contributor to why Texas lost to TCU. He went 10-for-21 for 104-yards and consistently underthrew his passes.
Run defense: During Texas’ wins over Kansas, Texas Tech and TCU, it seemed that the run defense’s problems had ended. But the Horned Frogs completely relied on the run to defeat the Longhorns. They ran the ball on 47 of 58 offensive plays for 217 yards, both of their touchdowns coming on the ground.

Whats next?
This loss put Texas out of the BCS Bowl and Big 12 pictures. The team will head to Manhattan to face No. 7 Kansas State. Though the Wildcats lost to Baylor, this game will be one of Texas’ toughest matchups this season.

Printed on Monday, Nov. 26, 2012 as: Turnovers doom the offense on Thanksgiving Day