Wildcats to Watch

The Associated Press

Since transfering from Miami, Arthur Brown has been a cornerstone of the Kansas State defense. He leads a unit that leads the Big 12 in scoring defense.

Collin Klein– If not for a loss at Baylor, quarterback Collin Klein would still be the Heisman frontrunner as his team prepared for a bid in the national championship. Despite rushing for one touchdown, and passing for two more in the loss, Klein’s season-high three interceptions showed that even great players can have bad games. Klein is a dual-threat quarterback comparable to Tim Tebow at the college level.He has passed for 2,311 yards with 14 touchdowns while completing 67-percent of his passes. These numbers indicate that when he needs to throw the football he is capable of putting up solid numbers. However, Klein is heralded for his ability to punish defenders carrying the football. He has rushed for 20 touchdowns while maintaining an average of 4.6 yards per carry. Still a guy in the running for the Heisman, Klein is a signal caller similar to what the Longhorns faced against Geno Smith.

The Longhorns will need to limit his ability running the football and pressure him into bad throws like the Baylor defense did in its win over the Wildcats.Klein is the main player that Texas needs to beware of in this game.

John Hubert– A player similar to the speedsters that Texas has seen all season long, John Hubert can beat the Longhorns if they aren’t careful. The junior running back stands 5-foot-7 and weighs 191 pounds, making him one of the smaller backs in the country. Hubert uses his speed and elusiveness to pick up yards, and shouldn’t be overlooked because of his stature. Hubert has rushed for 831 yards this season while maintaining an impressive 5.3 rush per carry average. Averaging just over 14 carries per game, the diminutive rusher has shown an ability to carry the load on the ground even with a mobile quarterback under center. He won’t run many defenders over, which is good news for the Longhorns, but his speed is similar to many players the Longhorns have seen already this season. Texas needs to keep their eyes on Hubert and keep him from breaking off big runs.

Arthur Brown– The senior linebacker is recognized as one of the best in the country with his ability to play in coverage and get to the ball carrier at will. Brown, who transferred from Miami after his sophomore season, is a guy that just makes plays. He leads the team in tackles this season with 80, and boasts two interceptions to his name. Brown is a big outside linebacker at 6-foot-1, 230 pounds, which showcases his strength to go along with the speed that makes him a nightmare for opposing ball carriers. The Longhorns should look to keep Brown blocked on every play and prevent him from wrapping up rushers.

Meshak Williams– A player with a similar effect on the game as Arthur Brown, Williams does most of his work in the trenches. The senior defensive end has racked up impressive numbers this season, showing his ability to clog up running lanes and rush the passer relentlessly. His 11.5 tackles for loss and 8.5 sacks both lead his team and make Williams one who must be blocked to allow the Longhorns to establish their running game. He’s big and fast and can get by defenders if they sleep on him. While Arthur Brown is the most heralded of the Wildcat defenders, Williams is the guy that the Longhorns cannot afford to ignore if they want to have a successful day on offense.