Texas vs. Kansas State: Longhorns lead Wildcats 10-7 at half

ElisabethDillon2
Elisabeth Dillon

Texas could not have asked for a worse start, but the Longhorns rebounded well to enter halftime with a 10-7 lead over Kansas State.

On Case McCoy’s second pass of the contest he threw an interception on a short curl route. The corner read the route the whole time and jumped it, which resulted in him walking in the end zone. It was originally called a touchdown, but Kansas State corner Nigel Malone dropped the ball just short of the end zone in celebration, giving Kansas State the ball on the one-yard line. It didn’t take the Wildcats long to score despite the blunder. Collin Klein punched the ball in on the very next snap.

From there things got considerably better for the Longhorns.

After the interception McCoy didn’t miss a pass until the last minute of the second quarter. He led the Longhorns on a trio of drives, two of which resulted in a score. The touchdown came on a brilliant play call in the red zone by co-offensive coordinator Bryan Harsin. He spread the field with four-wide streak pattern, allowing McCoy to place the ball on the inside of the corner and safety for a Jaxon Shipley touchdown.

McCoy finished the half 17-for-20 for 204 yards and a touchdown. He was one completion short of tying the Texas records for consecutive completions.

As impressive as McCoy was, the defense was better.

They contained a Kansas State offense led by Heisman candidate, Klein, and held the Wildcats to just 114 yards. Klein could never break containment for a big run and the offense, besides a pair of long passes, did an excellent job against the passing attack.